Human rights condemnations of Sudan’s “coup” and criticism of “random killings and arrests” continue

Human rights condemnations continued for the measures taken two days ago by the head of the Sudanese Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, to dissolve the council and the government and declare a state of emergency, and for the “random killings and arrests” carried out by the authorities.

Human Rights Watch called on military leaders to respect and protect the rights of all Sudanese, including the right to life and peaceful demonstration, to refrain from unnecessary and disproportionate use of force, to immediately release political leaders and other arbitrarily detained persons, and to restore contacts.

In the early hours of October 25, media reported that security forces had arrested at least five ministers, as well as other officials and political leaders. The army placed Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok under house arrest, but he was returned yesterday to his home, despite the continued imposition of immobility on him.

“The military council should not jeopardize the sacrifices of Sudanese from all walks of life and their tireless work for a more just and rights-respecting Sudan,” said Mausi Segun, Africa director at Watch.

According to medical sources, 3 protesters were killed by gunshots. About 80 were injured, according to reports. Two demonstrators told the human rights organization that protesters near the headquarters of the armed forces in Khartoum were met with live ammunition.

For its part, the Geneva Council for Rights and Freedoms said that it is following with “great concern” developments in the situation in Sudan, after the army seized power, declared a state of emergency and arrested a number of civilians.

The Human Rights Council said, in a statement, that the security forces opened fire on the demonstrators, killing and wounding dozens.

He added that he expresses deep concern about human rights, due to the excessive use of force against demonstrators, killings, arbitrary arrests and restrictions on freedom of expression.

Earlier, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, called for the return of internet and mobile phone services in Sudan, while Amnesty International urged the immediate and unconditional release of Hamdok.

“A complete shutdown of the internet is inconsistent with international law. Internet and mobile phone services must be restored because they are essential for people to access and receive information, especially in these troubling circumstances,” the commissioner said in a statement, a copy of which was received by the Al Jazeera Center for Public Liberties and Human Rights.

The commissioner called on the military and security forces to “refrain from the unnecessary and disproportionate use of force, and to respect people’s freedom of expression and the right to peaceful assembly.”

Meanwhile, Amnesty said that Sudanese military leaders must immediately and unconditionally release the prime minister and all other people who have been “arbitrarily” detained since Monday morning.

The organization stressed that the “arbitrary arrests and human rights violations” committed “contradict Sudan’s aspirations for a future in which human rights are respected for all, and amount to a betrayal of the hopes and sacrifices of hundreds of thousands of Sudanese.”

More freedoms

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *