The Security Council announces its position on the Sudanese army’s seizure of power, and a minister talks about preventing him from meeting Hamdok

The United Nations Security Council issued a unanimous statement expressing its deep concern over the army’s seizure of power in Sudan, with continued external pressure on military leaders to reverse their recent measures.

In its statement issued today, Thursday, the International Council demanded the re-establishment of a transitional government led by civilians on the basis of the constitutional document, and called for the immediate release of all detainees.

Diplomatic sources in the council had told Al Jazeera hours ago that Britain had distributed a third draft of its draft statement on Sudan, expressing the council’s concern about the army’s seizure of power, instead of condemning it according to the previous two drafts.

The British move came after Russia raised objections to the inclusion in the council’s statement of any condemnation of the Sudanese army’s actions.

On the other hand, Volker Peretz, the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General of the United Nations to Sudan, said that he met with the commander of the Sudanese army, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan yesterday, and expressed to him his grave concern about the detainees since October 25, and called for the immediate release of all political detainees.

Peretz also requested immediate communication with the detainees, and urged Al-Burhan to stop the “escalation”, stressing the responsibility of the army and security services to ensure respect for the right to peaceful protest and the protection of protesters.

He also called on him to open a dialogue with the ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok and other stakeholders, and offered to participate in his efforts to facilitate a political settlement in order to restore the transitional partnership.

Last Monday, the army arrested Hamdok and a number of ministers and party leaders, and its leader, Al-Burhan, announced the dissolution of the Sovereignty and Ministers Councils, and pledged to form an independent government of competencies.

Al-Burhan also declared a state of emergency and dismissed governors, and abandoned some provisions of the constitutional document on managing the transitional period.

Restrictions about Hamdok

For his part, Yasser Abbas, Minister of Irrigation in the isolated government, said – in a statement to Al Jazeera today – that the authorities prevented him, the Minister of Foreign Affairs and a number of ministers from meeting the isolated prime minister.

The army had released Hamdok, who returned to his residence in Khartoum on Tuesday evening.

In the context of the popular and political movement rejecting the army’s actions, the Foreign Ministry of the isolated government said that the ambassadors who reject the “coup” are the legitimate representatives of Sudan.

And she added – in a statement published by the Ministry of Information in the ousted government – that the decisions of the army commander “are illegal and have no constitutional basis.”

This came after Al-Burhan dismissed 6 ambassadors from their posts, after they rejected his recent decisions.

And Sudanese TV stated – yesterday – that the Commander-in-Chief of the army dismissed the Ambassador to the United States Noureddine Sati, the Ambassador to the European Union Abdel Rahim Khalil, the Ambassador to Qatar Abdel Rahim Siddik, to China Jaafar Karar, and the Ambassador to France Omar Manis, as well as the head of the mission in Geneva Ali soldier.

Open the roads and operate the airport

In the meantime, the aspects of normal life gradually began to return to the capital, amid a continuing state of internal rejection and intense external pressures on the military leaders.

Al-Jazeera correspondent said that air traffic resumed today at Khartoum International Airport, where two planes took off for the first time, after they stopped last Monday.

Joint forces of the army, rapid support and police opened most of the bridges and roads in Khartoum, to the movement of cars and pedestrians.

The reporter added that the army forces opened a number of bridges linking the three cities of the capital (Khartoum, Khartoum North, Omdurman) without inspection. It was satisfied with setting up barriers to monitor traffic, while the opening of closed roads, such as Africa Street, which overlooks Khartoum International Airport, and the streets of the center of the capital, continues.

He pointed out that the commercial movement began to gradually return to the Arab market area in central Khartoum, where some shops opened their doors.

The reporter stated that some street vendors began displaying their wares in the area of ​​Jackson’s parking lot, one of the main transportation stops in the Arab market, and traffic returned to Africa and Ubaid Khatam Streets, after they had been closed by demonstrators rejecting the decisions of the army commander.

More policy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *