The Sudanese army reveals negotiations with Hamdok to form a new government, and Washington denies its prior knowledge of the military’s procedures

The Sudanese army revealed that it offered the ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok to form a new government, while external pressures continued to return to the previous path amid internal calls to organize new rallies.

The commander of the Sudanese army, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, said that the power structures that will be formed will include representatives from all states without partisanship, pointing to the completion of the formation of the parliament and the elections, as he put it.

Al-Burhan added that the consultations include the ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok himself, to form a government of civilian competencies if he agrees to the assignment.

He said that they sent him last night a delegation to negotiate with him, and that they offered him to form a government without their interference in determining its names and elements.

He explained that they had agreed with the ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok to lead the correction procedures, but the intervention of some parties made Hamdok hesitate.

The Commander-in-Chief of the Sudanese Army, Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan, described the amendments he made regarding the constitutional document as not affecting freedoms, and contented with dropping the articles related to partnership with freedom and change.

Al-Burhan described himself as being the most keen on the results of the investigation committee in the General Command’s sit-in.

American accusation

Al-Burhan’s new statements come in light of continuous American pressure on him; The US special envoy for the Horn of Africa, Jeffrey Feltman, accused him of betraying the spirit of the 2019 revolution.

In an interview with PBS, the American diplomat expected that Al-Burhan and his forces would discover that returning Sudan to its dark past is not an easy thing.

The envoy asserted that the Sudanese activists are committed not to allow the army to control the country, noting that General Al-Burhan is facing – in addition to the pressure of the Sudanese street – great regional and international pressures.

The US envoy spoke of concern about the possibility of violence, especially tomorrow, Saturday, with the outbreak of popular demonstrations.

Feltman revealed that Al-Burhan and Hemedti never hinted to him that they would take over and impose the dissolution of the Cabinet by military means.

The American diplomat suggested that countries that feel comfortable with the idea of ​​a strong military rule cannot replace the international community and international financial institutions in dealing with economic issues facing Sudan.

In turn, the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Volker Perthes, said that he met with the commander of the Sudanese army, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and called for the immediate release of all political detainees.

Volcker offered his efforts to facilitate a political settlement in order to restore the transitional partnership.

US President Joe Biden urged Sudanese military leaders to return the civilian transitional government and release all detainees.

Yesterday, Thursday, Biden said – in a statement – that the recent events in Sudan are a “serious setback”, and stressed that his country will continue to stand by the Sudanese people and their peaceful struggle to achieve the goals of the revolution.

The UN Security Council also issued a unanimous statement expressing its grave concern about the army’s seizure of power in Sudan.

In its statement issued on Thursday, the council demanded the re-establishment of a transitional government led by civilians on the basis of the constitutional document, and called for the immediate release of all detainees.

Invitations to a million march

While the United States and the United Nations intensify pressure on the military leaders in Sudan, calls came from opponents of the new military decisions through printed publications calling for a “million march” tomorrow, Saturday, in protest against the military rule, by relying on old means of popular mobilization after the authorities reduced the use of the Internet and phones.

The death toll from clashes between protesters and security forces has risen to at least 11 since last Monday, according to Reuters.

The streets of the Sudanese capital are still witnessing an intense security deployment of the army and the rapid support forces, but the authorities tried to restore some aspects of normal life and open some roads and bridges, and flights resumed on Wednesday through Khartoum Airport for the first time since last Monday.

More policy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *