Saturday, November 27

Sudan..Western pressures on the army chief and the Central Council for Freedom and Change deny that a settlement is imminent

|

The Sudanese News Agency (SUNA) said that the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan, pledged to US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken, during a phone call, to maintain the “smooth democratic transition”, amid reports of progress in the ongoing talks to restore the civilian government.

The agency stated today, Friday, that the two parties agreed during the call, which took place yesterday evening, Thursday, on “the need to preserve the path of the democratic transition and the need to complete the structures of the transitional government and expedite the formation of the government.”

She added that Al-Burhan pledged to “commit and maintain the smooth democratic transition, complete the transition process, and preserve the country’s security and the gains of the glorious December revolution, leading to an elected civilian government.”

The presidential palace had said earlier that Al-Burhan had agreed with Blinken to “accelerate the formation of a government.”

For its part, the US State Department said in a statement that Blinken urged Al-Burhan to enter into a dialogue that would restore the civilian government to power in the country, and release all detained politicians.

Blinken said in a tweet on Twitter that his country stands by Britain, Saudi Arabia and the UAE in supporting the aspirations of the Sudanese people towards democracy.

Possible settlement

Meanwhile, Reuters news agency quoted a source close to the ousted Prime Minister, Abdullah Hamdok, that talks between him and the military leaders are making progress, and another source said that the country may soon witness the formation of a new Sovereign Council of 14 members, in a first step by the army to form new transitional institutions.

However, the Ministry of Information in the ousted government quoted the Central Council of the Forces of Freedom and Change denying the news of communicating with the “revolutionaries”, or the imminence of reaching an agreement with Abdallah Hamdok.

In a statement, the Central Council stressed its refusal to negotiate with the so-called putschists.

Western and international pressures to resolve the crisis in Sudan have been increasing since the army chief, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, announced on October 25 the dissolution of the Council of Ministers and the Sovereignty, and the imposition of a state of emergency in conjunction with the arrest of a number of prominent ministers and politicians, and the imposition of house arrest on the ousted Prime Minister, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan. God bless you.

The United Nations special envoy to Sudan, Volker Peretz, said on Thursday that the talks had produced broad outlines for a possible agreement to return to power-sharing between the military and civilians, including restoring Hamdok to his post.

But he stressed the need to reach that agreement within “days, not weeks” before the two sides harden their positions.

Yesterday, Thursday, Al-Burhan issued a decision to release 4 of the dismissed ministers, namely Minister of Communications Hashem Hasab Al-Rasoul, Minister of Information Hamza Balloul, Minister of Youth and Sports Youssef Adam Al-Dhai, and Minister of Commerce Ali Gedo.

The Ministry of Information in the ousted government confirmed the release of Hamza Balloul, while other members of the government and the Sovereignty Council remain in detention.

More policy



Reference-www.aljazeera.net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *