Saturday, November 27

An Israeli spokesman denies the truth of what was shown on Al Jazeera about the kidnapping of two officers

Ofir Gendelman, spokesman for the Israeli Prime Minister, told Arab media that the news reported by Al-Jazeera yesterday on the “What is Hidden is Greater” program about the kidnapping of two Israeli officers is false.

And he added – in a tweet to him – that the two people presented in the report are not Israelis and have nothing to do with Israel, as he said.

The “What is Hidden is Greater” program – which was broadcast last Friday – obtained video recordings revealing the kidnapping of two Israelis by a party calling itself the “Freedom Movement”. It also revealed exclusive recordings of Palestinian prisoners inside Israeli prisons.

The program highlighted what “Freedom Movement” said that it had kidnapped two Israeli officers while they were carrying out a secret security mission outside Israel. In the video, the kidnapper published Israeli identity papers and a picture of one of them before his kidnapping while he was undercover, without revealing the location of the kidnapping or the current detention.

In the published video, the two Israeli officers said their names were David Perry and David Ben Rousey, and in a video message, they appealed to Israel to work for their release. The kidnappers linked the fate of the two Israelis to the release of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli prisons.

prisoner exchange

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett refused to respond to a question about the chances of concluding a prisoner exchange deal with Hamas and if it became imminent, and he only said that his positions are known in this regard. This came in a joint press conference with Foreign Minister Yair Lapid and Finance Minister Avigdor Lieberman.

Bennett also agreed with Lieberman to refuse to open a new US consulate for the Palestinians in East Jerusalem, and they confirmed that they had informed the Americans of this. Bennett explained, “My position, which was presented to the Americans … is that there is no place for an American consulate serving the Palestinians in Jerusalem. We express our opinion steadily, calmly and without review.”

And Foreign Minister Lapid, who was standing next to him, suggested reopening the consulate in the Palestinian government headquarters in Ramallah, in the occupied West Bank.

In Ramallah, a spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas rejected Lapid’s statements. Nabil Abu Rudeineh told Reuters, “We will not accept anything but the US consulate in Jerusalem, the capital of the Palestinian state, and this is what the US administration has announced and committed to.”

During the era of former US President Donald Trump, Washington pleased the Israelis and angered the Palestinians by closing the consulate in Jerusalem and transferring its employees to the US Embassy in Israel, which was moved to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv in 2018.

In its quest to repair relations with the Palestinians, the administration of US President Joe Biden said it would reopen the consulate, although it did not specify a date for that.

“We will move forward with the process of opening a consulate in the context of deepening those relations with the Palestinians,” US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said last month. However, one of his senior officials indicated that Israel’s rejection of the plan remains an obstacle to achieving this.

More policy



Reference-www.aljazeera.net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *