Defenders dressed as attackers..scoring and creating goals
In modern football – or what is known as “total football” – there are no longer defenders, midfielders, strikers and even goalkeepers, everyone has to play all roles on the pitch.
The goalkeeper has become a defender, a passer and a goal maker, and defenders score goals and create others, while attackers are required to perform defensive roles.
The defenders – who performed exceptionally this season – were the most prominent in the five major leagues:
- Englishman Reece James (Chelsea): He scored 4 goals and assisted the same.
- Portuguese Joao Cancelo (Manchester City): Scored 2 goals and assisted 5 others.
- England’s Alexander Trent-Arnold (Liverpool): 6 assists.
- Canadian Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich): 5 assists.
- Spaniard Jordi Alba (Barcelona): 5 assists.
- French Dayot Upamecano (Bayern Munich): 4 assists.
- American Sergio Dest (Barcelona): 3 assists.
- Englishman Ben Chilol (Chelsea): 3 assists.