eCommerce

Calls for strike and civil disobedience in Sudan and Washington calls for the restoration of the transitional government with civilian leadership

The Sudanese Professionals Association confirmed that it is moving forward in the escalation against what it called a “military coup”, and called in a statement to go out in the coming days in preparatory processions for the one million people called for by the resistance committees in Khartoum.

The Steering Committee of the Judicial Authority Workers in Sudan also announced a strike and civil disobedience on Tuesday and Wednesday, in rejection of the army’s coup against the transitional government.

The committee said in a statement that it “will carry out a strike and disobedience on Tuesday and Wednesday, and Thursday a protest pause.”

And she stressed that “civil disobedience is a right guaranteed in accordance with the law, and it expresses the rejection of the unjust decisions issued by the army commander and his coup against the authority of the transitional period.”

This is the first announcement of disobedience and strike by the steering committee of the judiciary staff that was formed after the fall of the Omar al-Bashir regime in April 2019.

After the overthrow of Omar al-Bashir’s regime, the professional unions’ boards of directors were dissolved in December of the same year, given that they were under his control, and later steering committees were formed to manage these unions.

Take advantage of mistakes

The leader of the National Program Call Forces, Naji Mustafa, called on the Sudanese army to take advantage of the mistakes of the past and hand over power in all its branches to a civilian government.

Naji Mustafa also stressed – in a press conference for the coalition – the need for the role of the Sudanese army to be limited to security issues and to ensure the transitional phase in the country.

Meanwhile, the leader of the National Program Call Forces, El-Tijani El-Sisi, stated that the delay in forming a new government opens the door to foreign interventions.

At a press conference for the coalition in Khartoum, he called on Army Commander Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan to expedite the appointment of a new prime minister as soon as possible.

United State

The US State Department spokesman, Ned Price, stressed that the common position of Washington and its allies and partners towards Sudan is to restore the transitional government with civilian leadership.

In response to a question by Al-Jazeera correspondent about whether Washington will accept a solution that does not include canceling the decisions taken by the Sudanese army on the 25th of last month; Price stressed that the US position reflects the aspirations of the Sudanese people.

And US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken previously made it clear that his country and Egypt have a common interest in returning Sudan’s democratic transition to its tracks.

On the sidelines of the Egyptian-American strategic dialogue, which began on Monday in Washington, the US Secretary of State stressed the need to stop violence against demonstrators in Sudan and restore the transitional government.

“We stressed the importance of the Sudanese parties’ involvement in negotiations to reach a solution to the crisis,” he said, adding that the lack of stability in Sudan affected the Horn of Africa.

don’t back down

The Commander-in-Chief of the Sudanese army had said that he would not back down from the decision to dissolve the government and declare a state of emergency, stressing that the problem in Sudan is not in the person of the ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok.

Al-Burhan indicated – in exclusive statements to Al-Jazeera – that the problem in his country lies in the way the state was managed in the previous stage, and in the contents of the constitutional document itself, as well as in the way the political forces deal with the executive body.

In his first statement since October 25, the commander of the Rapid Support Forces in Sudan, Lieutenant-General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti), described the decisions of the General Commander of the Army, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, as coming to correct the course of the revolution and preserve the security and stability of the country.

In a recorded speech, Hemedti said that the decisions of last October 25 were “caused by the failure of reform due to the adherence of a small group to power,” stressing the commitment to democratic transformation, holding elections in 2023, and forming an independent civilian government.

Practical steps

The spokesman for the Forces of Freedom and Change, Al-Wathiq Al-Barir, said that Al-Burhan’s talk about commitment to the democratic transition is an important step that must be followed by practical steps, foremost of which is lifting the state of emergency and releasing political detainees, led by Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok.

And he demanded an end to the arrest campaigns and what he described as illegal procedures, whose number of decisions has reached nearly 400 since the seizure of power.

Al-Barir stressed that the Central Council desires a partnership with the military component to manage the transitional period, according to an agreed constitutional reference.

On October 25, the army chief, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, declared a state of emergency in the country, dissolving the Sovereignty Councils and transitional ministers, releasing governors, and arresting party leaders, ministers and officials. transitional. On the following day, Al-Burhan issued a decision to dissolve the steering committees of trade unions and professional federations.

More news



Reference-www.aljazeera.net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *