The countries that won the most Ballon d’Or .. Messi is a country player
With the intensification of the struggle for the Ballon d’Or award between Argentine Lionel Messi and Poland’s Robert Lewandowski, football fans are waiting for whether Messi will gift his country the seventh Golden Ball and lead it to the top of the countries winning the prestigious award, or if Leva will gift Poland its first Ballon d’Or.
It is noteworthy that the country of “Tango” now occupies the second place with 6 golden balls, which was won by Messi, while Germany, the Netherlands and Portugal top the list of “the countries that have won the most Ballon d’Or” with 7 golden balls each.
Messi is the only player who gave his country all his golden balls, while the rest of the countries shared the balls won by a number of players.
- Germany: 7 Golden Balls won by 5 players: Beckenbauer, Rummenigge, Gerd Muller, Lothar Matthaus and Matthias Zammer.
- Netherlands: 7 Golden Balls won by 3 players: Johan Cruyff (3 times), Ruud Gullit (1 time) and Marco van Basten (3 times).
- Portugal: 7 Golden Balls won by 3 players: Eusebio (once), Luis Figo (once) and Cristiano Ronaldo (5 times).
- France: 6 Golden Balls won by 4 players: Raymond Kopa (once), Michel Platini (3 times), Jean-Pierre Babin (once) and Zinedine Zidane (once).
- Argentina: 6 Golden Balls won by Lionel Messi.
- Italy: 5 Golden Balls won by 5 players: Omar Sivori, Giovanni Rivera, Paolo Rossi, Roberto Baggio and Fabio Cannavaro.
- Brazil: 5 Golden Balls won by 4 players: Ronaldo (twice), Rivaldo (once), Ronaldinho (once) and Kaka (once).
- England: 5 Golden Balls won by 4 players: Stanley Matthews (once), Bobby Charlton (once), Kevin Keegan (twice) and Michael Owen (once).
- Soviet Union: 3 Golden Balls won by 3 players: Oleg Blokhin, Igor Bilanov and Lev Yashin.
- Spain: 3 Golden Balls won by two players: Alfredo Di Stefano (twice) and Luis Suarez Miramontes (once).