The police denied the use of firearms .. dead and injured in protests against the decisions of the Sudanese army chief
The Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors announced the killing of 5 people today, Saturday, during popular demonstrations against the decisions taken by the President of the Sovereign Council and the commander of the Sudanese army, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan.
The same source indicated that 4 protesters were killed by live bullets, while the other died as a result of suffocation from tear gas in Omdurman.
A medical source revealed to Al-Jazeera that a security force stormed the Al-Arbaeen Hospital in Omdurman during a demonstration in front of the hospital, and the medical source said that the security forces arrested a person inside the hospital, which constitutes a violation of medical norms. .
The Minister of Information in the isolated Sudanese government, Hamza Balloul, refused any negotiation with the army. Those who were described as coupists will all be held accountable.
On the other hand, Sudanese TV quoted the police as saying that they did not use firearms in their dealings with the demonstrators, confirming that about 40 of their members were injured, and the police added that many of its security centers were attacked, and that the demonstrations yesterday, Saturday, were of a peaceful nature, but quickly deviated from their course. .
The US Embassy in Khartoum expressed its regret for the loss of life and the injury of dozens of demonstrators during the demonstrations, and said in a tweet that the demonstrators had come out for freedom and democracy, and also condemned the excessive use of force.
The Chairperson of the African Commission, Musa Faki, called on the Sudanese military authorities to engage without further delay in a political process leading to the return of constitutional order, in line with the constitutional decree agreed in August 2019 and the Juba Peace Agreement in Sudan in October 2020.
The United Nations Special Rapporteur on freedom of assembly, Clement Nyaltsossi Foll, called on the Sudanese army to immediately and unconditionally release all detainees, stop harassing activists, and restore internet service to work throughout the country, warning that all those involved will be held accountable. in violations, as he put it.
The demonstrations took place under the title “November 13 Million”, and the protesters demanded the departure of Al-Burhan and the return of the isolated government, and Sudanese accounts on social media platforms broadcast videos to start the march of the demonstrators in the neighborhoods of Khartoum.
Witnesses reported that the Sudanese security forces fired tear gas to disperse the protesters, who went out in several cities across the country to denounce what they considered the army’s control of power on the 25th of last month.
Security forces in Gedaref city, east of the country, fired tear gas to disperse groups of demonstrators in the city center, injuring at least 3 protesters.
The processions that left from several neighborhoods in the city center were scheduled to gather to reach the General Secretariat of the Gedaref state government, but the security forces dispersed them before the processions gathered and reached the specified place.
Refusal of Burhan’s decisions
The protests come two days after the army chief, Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, announced the formation of a new Sovereignty Council, in which he excluded the coalition of civilians that had been sharing the army in power since 2019, after the regime of ousted President Omar al-Bashir was overthrown.
On October 25, Al-Burhan declared a state of emergency in the country and dissolved the Sovereign Council, which he headed, and the government headed by Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok, who was arrested for a short period, before being released to his house, where he was placed under house arrest. He also arrested most government ministers, including civilians, and some activists and politicians.
The army released only 4 ministers, despite almost daily calls from the international community to return to the pre-October 25 transitional government.
The protesters condemned Al-Burhan’s decisions and vowed to continue a campaign of civil disobedience and to continue the protests.
Today, Saturday, security forces closed bridges between Khartoum and the cities of Omdurman and Khartoum North, as well as closed roads with barbed wire.
Reuters quoted witnesses as saying that the security forces also closed strategic sites, including the presidential palace, the government headquarters and the airport.
Demonstrations took place in Khartoum, Omdurman, and Khartoum North, as well as in Wad Medani in the southeast of Khartoum and Kassala in eastern Sudan. Demonstrations also took place in the cities of Port Sudan, Dongola, Karima and Atbara.
The demonstrators chanted slogans, including “Down with military rule”, “No to military rule”, “apostasy is impossible” and “Down with the military coup d’etat”.