Sunday, November 28

Demonstrations calling for a civil state… Security forces confront the November 17 processions in Khartoum, and America requires the return of “legitimacy” to resume support

Security forces repelled the demonstrations that took place in Khartoum today, Wednesday, under the slogan “November 17 Million”, rejecting the decisions of the army commander, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, and demanding the return of the civilian government, while Washington called for the restoration of “legitimacy” in Sudan.

Al-Jazeera correspondent Al-Taher Al-Mardi reported that there were injuries among the demonstrators in Khartoum North, where tear gas was fired, and added that he also heard the sound of shooting.

Activists said that 60th Street in Khartoum witnessed a hit and run between the demonstrators and the security forces, who they said had fired tear gas and tear gas to disperse the protesters.

The French Press Agency said that the police and the army were deployed in large numbers in the Sudanese capital, and they were armed with automatic rifles, and they closed the roads leading to the headquarters of the General Command of the Armed Forces, the presidential palace and the government headquarters.

The Sudanese authorities had cut off the telephone service this afternoon before the demonstrations began, while the internet connection from the mobile phone network is still cut off in large parts of the country since last October 25.

The Forces of the Declaration of Freedom and Change called – in a statement – to continue the demonstrations “until the fall of the coup,” and the Sudanese Professionals Association called – in a statement – to “mobilize in processions on Wednesday.”

Yesterday, the official Sudanese TV reported that the Traffic Department (governmental) announced the closure of 4 bridges starting from dawn on Wednesday, out of 10 bridges linking the cities of the capital, Khartoum, Bahri and Omdurman.

Crowds of Sudanese have previously protested under the slogan of “millions” to return to civilian rule, twice, on October 30 and November 13.

American terms

Meanwhile, international pressure continued on the army leadership in Sudan to restore the civilian government and resume the transitional phase.

In the latest statements, US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said during a press conference held in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, at the start of an African tour, that it was necessary for the transitional phase in Sudan to restore “the legitimacy it was.”

“If the army puts things back on track and does what is necessary, I think it is possible to resume the support of the international community, which has been very strong,” he added.

Blinken called on the Sudanese army to do what is necessary to put things back on track (European)

For its part, the European Union condemned the violence against the demonstrators and the arrest of journalists, and held the Sudanese army responsible for any human rights violations, and called for a return to the path of dialogue with civilians.

As for Britain, Norway and Switzerland, they condemned what they called the alleged appointment of the new Sovereign Council in Sudan in “violation” of the constitutional declaration signed in 2019, and called for a return to a transitional government headed by civilians.

On the other hand, consultations are continuing in Sudan to form a new government to succeed the ousted government of Abdullah Hamdok.

The head of the Sovereignty Council and the commander of the army, Lieutenant-General Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan, said during his meeting with the US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, “Molly V”, that the Sudanese army is unwilling to continue in power, and is committed to the constitutional document.

For her part, the US official said in a tweet on Twitter that she had discussed with Abdullah Hamdok ways to restore the democratic transition in Sudan.

More policy



Reference-www.aljazeera.net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *