Sudan..Deaths and injuries in the November 17 demonstrations, and the United States upholds the “legitimacy” of Hamdok
The Sudanese Ministry of Health confirmed the killing and wounding of dozens as a result of the suppression of the demonstrations rejecting the decisions of the President of the Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, while the United States stressed the “legitimacy” of the ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok, and the United Nations expressed concern about the victims.
Reuters quoted medics as saying that Sudanese security forces shot dead at least 15 people and wounded dozens.
Witnesses said that security forces fired live bullets and tear gas to prevent gatherings around the cities of Khartoum, Khartoum North and Omdurman, after cutting off mobile phone communications earlier on Wednesday.
In Gedaref state, eastern Sudan, Al-Jazeera correspondent reported that the authorities prevented the organization of a demonstration in the city center, coinciding with the demonstrations in Khartoum and other Sudanese cities.
The reporter explained that joint forces of the army and police were deployed in the targeted places of the gathering, as well as the city square, to prevent the gathering of demonstrators.
Eyewitnesses said that heavily armed forces carried out a campaign of arrests among demonstrators and activists.
The Forces of the Declaration of Freedom and Change called – in a statement – to continue the demonstrations “until the fall of the coup,” and the Sudanese Professionals Association called – in a statement – to “mobilize in processions on Wednesday.”
For his part, the spokesman for the Secretary-General of the United Nations said that reports of deaths in the demonstrations in Sudan are worrying. He also called on the military authorities in Sudan to return to the transitional phase.
In turn, US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken called – during a joint press conference with his Kenyan counterpart in Nairobi – for a democratic transition in Sudan.
On Wednesday, Blinken confirmed that the ousted Sudanese Prime Minister, Abdullah Hamdok, is the source of legitimacy in Sudan.
Blinken added that the US administration is working with the international community to release political detainees in Sudan, and said that support will return if the army retreats from seizing power.
For its part, the European Union condemned the violence against demonstrators and the arrest of journalists, and held the Sudanese army responsible for any human rights violations, and called for a return to the path of dialogue with civilians.
As for Britain, Norway and Switzerland, they condemned what they called the alleged appointment of the new Sovereign Council in Sudan in “violation” of the constitutional declaration signed in 2019, and called for a return to a transitional government headed by civilians.
On the other hand, consultations are continuing in Sudan to form a new government to succeed the ousted government of Abdullah Hamdok.
The head of the Sovereignty Council and the commander of the army, Lieutenant-General Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan, said – during his meeting with the US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Fe – that the Sudanese army is unwilling to continue in power, and is committed to the constitutional document.
For her part, the US official said in a tweet on Twitter that she had discussed with Abdullah Hamdok ways to restore the democratic transition in Sudan.
Since last October 25, Sudan has been experiencing a severe crisis, as the army chief, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, declared a state of emergency, dissolved the Sovereignty Councils and the transitional ministers and relieved the governors, after the arrest of party leaders, ministers and officials, in exchange for continuous protests that reject these measures as a military coup.