Shortly before the end of the taking of evidence, the lawyer of the main defendant in the trial of the Trier “cyberbunker” announced that his client would be admitted to the matter. Due to the necessary preparation, this will be possible in two weeks at the earliest, said attorney Michael Eichin. The trial of eight defendants, who are said to have operated an illegal data center for criminal business on the Darknet in a disused bunker in Traben-Trarbach on the Moselle, has been going on for more than a year.
In addition, the lawyer of another defendant announced a statement on the allegations for the coming Monday. The presiding judge Günther Köhler set November 25th as the deadline for further requests for evidence. He had previously rejected around 20 requests for evidence from the defense during the hearing. The applications are partly inadmissible, partly they do not serve to “research the truth”.
The seven men and one woman have been negotiating since October 19, 2020. According to the public prosecutor’s office, it is one of the largest trials against cybercrime in Germany. The indictment accuses them of having founded a criminal association and aiding and abetting around 249,000 criminal offenses: Above all, drug deals worth millions, but also cyberattacks and counterfeit money transactions are said to have run via servers in the cyberbunker.
The facility was excavated at the end of September 2019 in a major action involving hundreds of police officers after five years of investigations. More than 100 witnesses were heard in the process, which now lasted more than 70 days. It is the first time that suspected operators of criminal platforms in the Darknet are on trial in Germany. (dpa / pma)