After the signing of the political agreement in Sudan.. Hamdok considers it a fortification of civil transformation and the proof pledges not to exclude anyone
Thousands of Sudanese demonstrated in Khartoum in rejection of the political agreement, and while Sudanese Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok called – during the signing ceremony of the agreement with Army Commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan – for consensus on how to govern Sudan, al-Burhan pledged not to exclude any party or entity in Sudan.
Hamdok said – after the signing ceremony – that his signing of the agreement aims to spare the blood of the Sudanese and preserve the gains over the past two years.
He stressed the need for consensus on the way Sudan is governed and the importance of recognizing that the Sudanese people are the ruler.
For his part, the head of the Sudanese Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, said that the new agreement with Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok established a real transitional phase, and that what was achieved had been worked on since before October 25. As he says.
He stressed that the political blockage made it necessary for us (the army) to stop the transition process and reconsider what was done and will be done in the future.
Al-Burhan thanked Hamdok, stressing that he was part of the mediation team between the military and civilian components, and he is “a source of our trust and appreciation,” according to him.
“We do not want to exclude anyone or any party in Sudan, and we pledge to the people to reach free and fair elections by the end of the transitional period,” he said.
Terms of Agreement
Under the agreement between the head of the Sudanese Sovereign Council, Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan, and the ousted Prime Minister, Abdullah Hamdok, the return of Hamdok as prime minister during the transitional period, and the release of civilian leaders detained since the army seized power at the end of last October.
The agreement also includes the completion of consultations with the political forces with the exception of the National Congress, and the continuation of the constitutional, legal and political consensus procedures governing the transitional period.
The agreement stipulates full adherence to the constitutional document until it is amended with the approval of all, and those involved in the killing of demonstrators are held accountable.
The two parties also agreed that the Sovereignty Council will supervise the implementation of the tasks of the transitional period without interference in the executive work, in addition to emphasizing that the partnership between civilians and the military is the guarantor of Sudan’s security.
The agreement included investigations into the events that took place in the demonstrations, including injuries and deaths, and bringing the perpetrators to court.
On the other hand, the “Forces of Freedom and Change – Central Council Group” alliance announced its adherence to its position rejecting any negotiations or partnership with what it described as illegal putschists.
The Central Council for Freedom and Change confirmed that it was not concerned with any agreement with what it described as the brute junta, declaring action by all peaceful means to bring it down, as the statement says.
The Unionist Rally Party also announced its rejection of any agreement with the military component, stressing its bias towards the street and the escalation of the political struggle against the military until power is handed over to a purely civilian government.
The country is preparing for new demonstrations today to demand the return of the civilian government, and activists on social networks called on Saturday to participate in what they called a “million” Sunday.
Night demonstrations took place in a number of neighborhoods and suburbs of the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, in rejection of the decisions taken by the Sudanese army chief, and to demand the release of detainees.
before the agreement
Hamdok had held a meeting with the army chief, Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and his deputy, Muhammad Hamdan Daglo (Hemedti), while political forces announced their rejection of his agreement with the military component.
And earlier today, Sunday, the Sudanese army lifted the house arrest of the ousted Prime Minister, Abdullah Hamdok, after an agreement with him to return to his position during the transitional period, while protests against previous decisions of the military component continue.
The office of the ousted Sudanese Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok told Reuters that the Sudanese army lifted restrictions on Hamdok’s movements, and withdrew the security forces that were stationed outside his house on Sunday.
Hamdok and his wife were arrested at dawn last October 25, before they were returned to their home the next evening and placed under house arrest.
And a statement from the initiative – Al Jazeera received a copy of it – stated that the agreement between the commander of the Sudanese army, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and Hamdok, includes the release of all political detainees, the completion of consultations with political forces with the exception of the National Congress Party, in addition to continuing the procedures for constitutional, legal and political consensus that govern the period transitional.
The statement of the initiative – which consists of various political forces and parties and armed movements that signed the Juba Peace Agreement, Sufi Orders and the Native Administration – that the agreement will be announced later today after signing its terms and the accompanying political declaration.
In turn, the designated head of the Sudanese Umma Party, Fadlallah Burma Nasser, said today, Sunday, that the army will restore Hamdok to his position after reaching an agreement late Saturday.
Nasser added that Hamdok will form an independent government of competencies, and all political detainees will be released within the framework of the agreement between the army and civilian political parties.
Eyewitnesses told Al Jazeera that the Sudanese police fired tear gas at protesters in the Sixtieth Street area (east of Khartoum) after they tried to block part of the street with concrete barriers and stones.
Al-Jazeera correspondent also reported that protesters blocked the main street in Al-Dim neighborhood (central Khartoum) with stones, in rejection of Al-Burhan’s decisions.
The Sudanese police fired tear gas to disperse demonstrators in Khartoum North, and the intersection of the “Establishment and Al-Maonah” (city center) witnessed confrontations between the two parties.
The demonstrators threw stones at the police, and set up barricades to impede their movements.
The designated governor of Khartoum, Ahmed Othman Hamza, issued a decision to form a committee to investigate the events that accompanied the demonstrations last Saturday and Wednesday, to investigate the causes of deaths and injuries that accompanied the demonstrations, and to reach the perpetrators, according to the decision.
For his part, a Sudanese police spokesman told Al Jazeera that demonstrators burned a police station in the city of Khartoum North.
Neighborhoods in the three cities of the Sudanese capital (Khartoum, Khartoum North and Omdurman) witnessed demonstrations rejecting Al-Burhan’s decisions, and the demonstrators demanded the return of Hamdok to carry out his duties and the release of political detainees.
The US Embassy in Sudan advised American nationals to stay in their homes as much as possible, coinciding with expected demonstrations in Khartoum today, Sunday.
The embassy indicated – in a statement – that despite the peaceful nature of the calls made by the organizers, the previous demonstrations witnessed violent confrontations.
— US Embassy Khartoum (@USEmbassyKRT) November 20, 2021
US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken called for an end to violence against protesters in Sudan and the release of all detainees.
Blinken added that his country joins the voice of the demonstrators calling for the return of the transitional government.
The European Union ambassadors in Khartoum reiterated their support for the Sudanese people’s demands to achieve democracy, freedom, peace and justice, as well as respect for human rights.
The ambassadors expressed their readiness to support dialogue in order to find a settlement to the current crisis, according to a press statement after their meeting in Khartoum with former Sovereign Council member Mohamed Hassan Al-Taishi and Minister of Justice in the ousted government Nasr El-Din Abdel Bari, in addition to the ousted Governor of Central Darfur, Adib Youssef.