On the eve of the nomination deadline, about 50 people have so far applied for the presidential elections scheduled for December 24, but many cities are already calling for a boycott of these elections, so what are the possible outcomes?
Marie Verdi says in a report She told the French newspaper “La Croix” on this subject that what Libya is witnessing with the approach of the deadline for submitting nominations for the presidential elections in Libya is a frantic race between dozens of personalities from the east and west of the country, among whom are highly controversial.
In the east, retired Major General Khalifa Haftar, who until recently led the so-called “Libyan National Army” and waged war against Tripoli (April 2019 to June 2020), applied for candidacy, and this is also the case for Aqila Saleh , the historical supporter of Haftar and who until recently chaired the parliament in Tobruk.
In the West, Prime Minister Abdel Hamid Dabaiba submitted his candidacy file, which was also done by the powerful former Interior Minister Fathi Ali Bashagha, and Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, son of the late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, also submitted his candidacy file, although he is wanted by the International Criminal Court.
The journalist wondered whether the High National Elections Commission would approve these nominations, especially with regard to those who have been convicted or who are subject to possible legal procedures on Libyan soil.
She pointed out that what matters to Libyan citizens is holding elections and returning things to normal in Libya after 10 years of harassment. The High National Elections Commission announced the registration of 2.83 million voters, who represent roughly the total number of voters in this country of about 6.5 million people.
She explained that at the present time, the conditions for holding free and credible elections have not been met, noting that cities such as Misurata, Al-Zawiya and many other cities, through councils of notables, launched calls for a boycott, and some polling stations were closed, especially in Al-Zawiya, Al-Gharyan, Al-Khums, and Al-Zintan. , objecting to some of the announced candidacies and also in protest against the electoral laws issued in the Tobruk parliament and designed specifically for competitors from the east, as she put it.
She added that the residents of Cyrenaica had been repressed for years, that is, since the area came under the rule of Haftar, and quoted the Al-Quds Al-Arabi newspaper in London as saying that Khaled, one of Haftar’s sons and who heads one of the militias, forced his fighters to hand over their electoral cards in exchange for their salaries.
The writer also pointed out that the conflict over election laws is not over yet, as the Supreme Council of State, the Tripoli-based supreme chamber, continues to condemn “the continuous attempts to hold elections on baseless and non-consensual bases,” which she said Aqila Saleh refuses. He stressed that it was too late to consider amending these conflicting laws.
Commenting on these cases, the author quoted Jalil Harchaoui, a researcher at the Global Initiative to Combat Transnational Organized Crime, as saying, “It is not excluded that the Constitutional Court, which has been loose for a long time, will invalidate these laws that have not been ratified by the High Council of State.”
Harchaoui warns that there are two scenarios, both of which involve risks. Either maintaining the first round of the presidential elections at all costs on December 24, with the risk of not having a second round, and not expecting a specific date, nor the law, nor the legislative framework that imposes it, or postponing it. Elections to set new rules, which will also provoke intense anger among a class of political actors.