eCommerce

Aqila Saleh: The Libyan National Unity Government no longer has any legitimacy

The Speaker of the Libyan Parliament, Aguila Saleh, said today, Monday, that the Interim Government of National Unity no longer has legitimacy, calling for the formation of a new government.

Saleh called for the need for everyone to realize that the goal of consultation and understanding with the Libyans, with their various orientations, does not depart from the national constants and does not compromise on any of them.

This came in his statements in the first official session he chaired after the postponement of the elections, where he said: The national unity government has expired, and based on the decision to withdraw confidence and the deadline for confidence expired by December 24 last.

At the end of last September, the House of Representatives voted to withdraw confidence from the government headed by Abdel Hamid Dabaiba.

But the decision was met with widespread rejection, especially internationally, as the government’s continuation is linked to holding elections and handing over power to a new government, which has so far faltered.

And the Speaker of Parliament returned to say, “The Attorney General must investigate the government’s expenditures since the date of its work, and the abuse of power (…) the government has expired and must be reconstituted.”

Saleh, the candidate for the presidential elections, demanded the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the Governor of the Central Bank, the Attorney General and the regulatory bodies, not to spend the current government without the prior approval of the House of Representatives.

This banner is still standing despite the “force majeure” to postpone the (European) elections

Distortion and misleading

Regarding his position on postponing the presidential elections, Saleh indicated that “the electoral laws have been subjected, since their issuance, to a campaign of confusion and misinformation, to find justifications for disrupting the elections and not holding them on time,” stressing that he was surprised by the Electoral Commission’s announcement that the presidential elections could not be held on time, due to “force majeure.”

“We were surprised by the commission’s issuance of a statement postponing the elections due to force majeure, which shocked more than 2.5 million voters and all those who aspire to end the suffering of Libyans,” he said.

Regarding the accusations that the House of Representatives disrupted the elections, Saleh said, “If we had a desire to disrupt the electoral process, we would not hasten to implement the electoral laws, and we would have stood like others waiting for an organized constitutional base to fall from the sky.”

Saleh called on all Libyans to stand against all attempts to obstruct, and to demand the holding of elections as soon as possible, as he put it.

Libyans in Benghazi protest the delay of a presidential election initially planned on December 24, in Benghazi, LibyaProtesters in a demonstration against the postponement of the Libyan elections (Reuters)

Postponement and reasons

The Electoral Commission had announced, two days before the date of the presidential elections on December 24 last, that it was unable to conduct the voting process, due to what it described as “force majeure”.

The Commission proposed to the House of Representatives a new date for the polling process on January 24 this year, provided that the “force majeure”, which in its entirety represents security, political and judicial obstacles, is removed.

Before that, she advised the Parliament’s Election Monitoring Committee not to set a date for the elections to avoid repeating previous mistakes.

During the preparations for the presidential elections in the past months, security incidents were recorded in several electoral centers in western Libya.



Reference-www.aljazeera.net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.