Coalition raids in Hodeidah and Sana’a and a strong international movement to end the war in Yemen
Video duration 02 minutes 17 seconds
The Saudi-led military coalition announced the start of “precision air strikes” to destroy the Houthis’ military capabilities in the capital, Sanaa, and Hodeidah, in western Yemen, while UN envoy Hans Grundberg discussed in Riyadh ways to end the war and ensure stability in the Arabian Peninsula.
Al-Masirah TV said that at least two people were killed and 12 wounded in a coalition raid that targeted the communications building in the coastal city of Hodeidah.
For its part, local sources said that three raids targeted the vicinity of the Naval College and the communications headquarters in Hodeidah.
The Houthi TV announced that internet services had been suspended due to what it said was the coalition’s targeting of the facilities of the International Internet Gateway in Hodeidah.
The coalition had said that it had launched precise air strikes to destroy the Houthis’ military capabilities in Hodeidah, stressing that it had targeted what it described as “one of the dens of maritime piracy and organized crime in Hodeidah.” He said the military operation was “in response to the threat and neutralizing the threat of hostile attacks.”
Eyewitnesses in Sanaa indicated that the explosions were the most violent in a long time, which occurred after a series of air raids targeting separate locations in the Houthi-controlled capital, but it was not clear the toll of the losses caused by the bombing.
Ending the war
Meanwhile, the office of the United Nations envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg, said that he met yesterday with Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman.
The UN envoy said in a tweet on Twitter that the meeting discussed ways to end the war in Yemen and ensure stability in the Arabian Peninsula.
UN envoy Grundberg met with @kbsalsaud today.
“I appreciate the opportunity to discuss ways to end the war in Yemen and ensure stability in the Arabian Peninsula with Prince Khalid bin Salman. We have agreed to work closely together and look forward to continuing cooperation.” pic.twitter.com/yNSjd6o8eX
– @OSE_Yemen (@OSE_Yemen) January 20, 2022
The two sides agreed to work closely together, and the UN envoy also expressed his aspiration to continue cooperation between the two sides.
The UN envoy is currently in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, where he held talks last Tuesday with Yemeni Foreign Minister Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak, and with the Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council, Nayef Al-Hajraf, on ways to solve the Yemen crisis.
On January 12, Grundberg warned, in a briefing before the Security Council, that Yemen was increasingly disintegrating politically, economically and militarily, stressing that the war in it was entering a new cycle of escalation.
In this context, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, expressed his concern about the continuation of air strikes in Sanaa, Hodeidah and other areas in Yemen in recent days.
These actions have resulted in civilian casualties and damage to civilian infrastructure, said Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the Secretary-General, stressing that Guterres renews his call to the parties to exercise the utmost restraint.
And the US State Department announced yesterday that its envoy to Yemen, Timothy Lenderking, began a tour that includes the Gulf states and Britain to revive the political process in Yemen.
The State Department said that Lenderking intends to pressure the parties concerned to stop the military escalation and participate in a comprehensive peace process.