Today, Kuwait receives Lebanon’s response to its initiative.. Geagea criticizes and Aoun meets with the Mufti of the Republic
Today, Kuwait is expected to receive the official response regarding the initiative that the Foreign Minister brought to Lebanon last week, which included 12 confidence-building proposals.
In his comment, the head of the Lebanese Forces Party, Samir Geagea, said that the official Lebanese response to the Kuwaiti proposal is the exclusive prerogative of the Council of Ministers.
In a tweet on Twitter, Geagea added that instead of submitting the proposal to the Cabinet, the Presidents of the Republic, the Government and the House of Representatives reduced the issue to their own persons, and assigned the Minister of Foreign Affairs to give the official answer, which constitutes a new violation of the laws and the constitution, as he put it.
In the same context, President Michel Aoun said, after his meeting with the Mufti of the Republic, Sheikh Abdel Latif Derian, that the meeting touched on Lebanese-Arab relations, noting that he agreed with the Mufti on the need to establish the best relations with Arab countries, with priority to maintain Lebanese civil peace, according to his expression.
Aoun also stressed that he does not want the Sunni community to be outside the political work in the country, pointing to its importance in the specific outcomes of Lebanon’s fate.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants, Abdullah Bouhabib, will convey the Lebanese government’s response to Kuwait, represented in a letter agreed upon by the executive authority that includes keenness on a distinguished relationship with the Gulf.
The Kuwaiti initiative includes setting a time frame for the implementation of UN Security Council resolutions, and one of these resolutions calls for the disarmament of armed factions, in reference to Hezbollah’s weapons.
The crisis between the Gulf states and Lebanon erupted at the end of last year, against the background of statements by former Lebanese Minister of Information George Kordahi.
In statements to Al-Jazeera, Minister Bouhabib confirmed that he will carry, on his visit to Kuwait today, a message in response to the Kuwaiti initiative.
Bouhabib added that this message was approved by the presidents of the republic and the government, and the government components were not informed of it, including Hezbollah.
In his interview with Al-Jazeera, the minister stated that his visit to Kuwait was for dialogue, not to end Hezbollah’s presence or hand over its weapons.
He also stressed that the Gulf states are brotherly, and Lebanon is interested in having excellent relations with them.
The Kuwaiti Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs Sheikh Ahmad Nasser Al-Mohammed Al-Sabah had paid last Saturday an official visit to Lebanon, which lasted for two days, as part of measures to rebuild confidence with this country.
Al-Sabah carried 3 messages to Lebanese officials, related to solidarity with the Lebanese people, and Lebanon’s call for non-interference in the affairs of Arab countries, Lebanon’s fulfillment of its obligations, and the implementation of international legitimacy and Arab resolutions.
Bouhabib will carry the Lebanese response to the messages carried by Al-Sabah to the Arab ministerial meeting that will be held in Kuwait soon.