After Washington demanded an investigation, the occupation acknowledged a “moral mistake” that led to the death of an elderly Palestinian with American citizenship

Yesterday, Monday, the Israeli occupation army announced that it would punish 3 officers after the martyrdom of an elderly Palestinian two weeks ago, saying that it was caused by a “moral error and poor decision-making”, after an American request to open an investigation because the martyr holds American citizenship.

Omar Abdel-Majid Asaad, 80, was found dead after being arrested by Israeli forces in the Gallia area in the occupied West Bank on January 12, when he suffered a sudden heart attack due to rough handling.

The IDF said at the time that Asaad was alive when the soldiers left him.

In a summary of its investigations on Monday, the army said in a statement that it concluded that Asaad refused to cooperate with forces operating in the area, and that “his hands were tied and he was gagged for a short time,” adding that Asaad and 3 others were released after they were detained for half an hour.

“The soldiers did not detect signs of fatigue or other signs that raise suspicion as to Asaad’s health. The soldiers expected Asaad to be asleep and did not attempt to wake him,” the army statement said.

He added, “The investigation concluded that the incident was a serious and unfortunate incident that resulted from a moral error and poor decision-making on the part of the soldiers,” acknowledging that one of the basic values ​​of the Israeli army, which is the protection of human life, was violated, as he put it.

The statement confirmed that there was no use of violence during the incident except for the time of Asaad’s arrest after his refusal to cooperate, and acknowledged that the soldiers did not perform their duties and left Asaad lying on the ground without providing the required treatment and informing their commanders of the incident.

Based on the foregoing, the Israeli occupation army confirmed that it was the maximum of two officers, and that it would blame the battalion commander.

The Israeli army said that the Military Police is conducting its own criminal investigation, the results of which will be submitted to the Military Prosecutor General for legal review and a decision on the matter.

The martyr Omar Asaad returned from the United States to live in the West Bank 10 years ago (communication sites)

The American position

After the autopsy of the martyr’s body, a spokesman for the US embassy in Jerusalem said that the embassy was “deeply saddened” by Asaad’s death, and that it supported “a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances of the incident.”

A day after his martyrdom, US State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters that the late also held US citizenship, and therefore the US government called his family to offer condolences.

“We have also contacted the Israeli government to request clarification” about the circumstances that led to his death, Price added, “and we hope that a thorough investigation will be conducted into the circumstances of this incident.”

Palestinian novel

On the other hand, the head of the local council, Fuad Mutee’, confirmed after the incident that a unit comprising between 30 and 40 Israeli soldiers set up an ambush in the center of Jaljalia village, where they stopped cars in the middle of the village, arrested its passengers and handcuffed them.

He added that the deceased was returning to his home after visiting his relatives, when he was arrested, handcuffed, beaten and left in a building under construction, then his body was found after the soldiers left the village.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health confirmed the account, and said that the incident caused Asaad to suffer a “heart attack.”

And Palestinian leaders called for the trial of the soldiers involved in an international court.

Asaad’s brother said that the martyr lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, lived in the United States for several decades, and returned to the West Bank 10 years ago.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.